City History

1170
Duke Kasimir of Pomerania presents the Havelberg cathedral chapter with a district on the Lake Tollensesee, including the place Broda for the establishment of a Premonstratensian convent
1236
Treaty of Kremmern, Pomerania hands the territory of Stargard over to the Margraves of Brandenburg
1248
On 4 January, Johann I of Brandenburg awards his abider Herbord of Raven a contract for the construction of the town
1271
First mention of the Four-Wheeled Mill
1290
Proof of the oldest guild, the slaughterers
1292
Wedding between Beatrix, daughter of the Brandenburg Margrave Albrecht, and the sovereign Heinrich of Mecklenburg
1298
Consecration of the high altar in the St Mary’s Church
Around 1300
Start of a stone fortification construction
1315-17
War of the Margraves, with the Treaty of Templin Peace the territory of Stargard, and with that Neubrandenburg, remains definitely with Mecklenburg
1382
Treaty between Neubrandenburg and Friedland for assistance
1449
Neubrandenburg confederates with other cities against “highwaymen, horse and cow stealers and “night knockers” (nocturnal troublemakers)
1469
Major Henricus Prillwisse falls in the fight against the Treptower in front of The Friedland Gate during the Pomeranian War
1471
Ullrich, the last Duke of Mecklenburg Stargard, dies
1480
Ihlenfeld feuds, the citizens of Neubrandenburg destroy the residential house of the aristocratic family Ihlenfeld, murder their members and have to do penance for this
1523
First reformatory sermon in Neubrandenburg
1585-88
Building of the town hall on the market place
1614
A fire destroys half of the town
1625
Plague epidemic
1627
Occupation of the town by Wallenstein’s imperial forces
1631
On 1 February, Swedish forces are in the town
On 9 March, Earl Tilly’s lansquenets cause a bloodbath
1665
Because of the Thirty Years’ War the town has to declare bankruptcy
1676
The largest town fire, only 16 houses and 15 huts escape
1701
Diversion of territories, the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz arises
1708
Neubrandenburg becomes “Vorderstadt” (kind of district capital) of the new Duchy
1737
Large city fire, totally 234 houses fall victim to the conflagration
1761
Neubrandenburg is scene of martial incidents
1770
Last public execution in Neubrandenburg
1775
Duke Adolf Friedrich IV. (Dörchläuchting) has built his summer palace in Neubrandenburg
1794
The ducal playhouse opens; today it’s the oldest theater building in Mecklenburg
1797
Foundation of the Mecklenburgische Hagel-Versicherungs Gesellschaft, today it’s the Mecklenburgische Versicherung (insurance company)
1804/05
First cemetery outside the town wall is built
1815
First exercise court in Neubrandenburg on the cow meadow
1823-26
Building of the new school building (as of 1841 grammar school)
1832-41
Restoration of St Mary’s Church by Court Master Builder Buttel
1844
First public swimming bath for men opens
1856-63
Fritz Reuter lives in Neubrandenburg
1863
Abolishment of the gate’s lock
1864
Train Friedrich-Franz-Bahn goes into service (Neubrandenburg-Güstrow)
1867
Opening of the gasworks and installation of gas lanterns
1872
Association for the foundation of a museum starts
1877
Inauguration of the synagogue
The train Nordbahn Berlin-Stralsund goes into service
1890
The municipal Art Collection comes into being
1893
Inauguration of the Fritz-Reuter-Monument
1894
Foundation of the public limited company Augustabad
1899
The Prison Tower in the street Turmstraße collapses
1900
The city has 10,500 residents; outside the curtain wall stand 316 houses
1901
The Lake Tollensesee attracts for bathing, the public swimming bath for women opens
1904
Inauguration of the Jahn-Monument
1907
Construction of a waterworks
1910
Construction of an electric works
1912
The new brewery Janssen & Bechly starts its production
1914-18
First World War; the city suffers 444 death killed in action
1924
Opening of the Reuter-Museum (destroyed in 1945)
1933
On 1 June, book burning on the market place
1935
The Kurt Heber AG (plc) relocates its main production area from Berlin to Neubrandenburg
1936
Relocation of the 1. troop of squadron 252 to the airbase of Trollenhagen
1938
Start of construction of the barracks in the city’s south
1939
A prisoner-of-war camp is placed in Fünfeichen
1940/41
Building of a torpedo experimental station on Lake Tollensesee
1943
The “Mechanische Werkstätten Neubrandenburg” (armament factory) builds an in-house women’s concentration camp
1944
On 5 October, air raid of the Allies
1945
On 29/30 April, capture of the city by troops of the Red Army; 80.4 % of the city centre are destroyed in a fire
May, establishment of “Special Camp 9” in the former prisoner-of-war camp Fünfeichen for the internment of people by the occupying powers
1946
April, Neubrandenburg as heretofore independent city is integrated in the administration district of Neubrandenburg, the city has about 20,600 inhabitants
1948
The citizens celebrate the 700-anniversary
1952
Neubrandenburg becomes the district capital
ab 1957
Companies of new branch industries establish in Neubrandenburg
1965
The “Haus der Kultur und Bildung” (house of culture and education) on the market is competed
1969
Neubrandenburg becomes again independent city, discovery of a three-head idol from the Slav-period on the isle Fischerinsel in Lake Tollensesee
1970
Laying of the foundation stone for the Oststadt (eastern part of the city)
1976
Start of rebuilding the St Mary’s Church
1979
The Franciscan Monastery becomes the register office
1982
Worker’s festival in Neubrandenburg
1989
Opening of the college of education in the street Rostocker Straße, as of 1991 opening of the University of Applied Sciences at the same place
1990
Inception of the Unification Treaty, Neubrandenburg looses its status of a district capital and the federals state of Mecklenburg Western-Pomerania is created
As of 1991
Federal social insurance board and federal youth welfare office in Neubrandenburg
1992
First “DokumentArt”-Medienwerkstatt and first Jazz Spring
1993
Inauguration of the re-designed memorial Fünfeichen
1994
The Kammertheater moves in the “old” playhouse
1995
Completion of the cycle route around the Lake Tollensesee
1998
750-anniversary; the last vacant city quarter on the market after the destruction in 1995 becomes a shopping centre
2001
13 of July, ceremonial opening of the St Mary's Church as the Konzertkirche (Concert Church), home of the Neubrandenburg philharmonic orchestra
2003
The city gets a feeder road and is now accessible via the new motorway A 20
2005
With the new construction of the sports high school the city can increase its important role in the sports promotion.
2006
In May the preparations for large excavations on the medieval marketplace start.

In the middle of December the new bronze bells in the Concert Church are ready to visit. The means for this bells were reached by a large fundraising.
2009
After the end of the excavations the marketplace is redesigned.
2011
With two big events - the 57. Deutsche Schützentag (a national event of gun clubs) and the national music competition "Jugend musiziert" - the city gets national interest.
2013
In September, the regional museum opens in the rebuilt Franciscan Monastery.
With a ground-breaking ceremony starts the building of the Neubrandenburg bypass.
2014
In June, the city archive moves into its new rooms in HKB (House of Culture and Education) on the marketplace. Its the most modern municipal archive in Mecklenburg Western-Pomerania.
2015
After many years of renovation and rebuilding the HKB is reopened in August.