Historical guided tours

  • Every third Saturday from March to December
  • Start: 4.00 pm / Meeting point is the Touristinfo
  • Final point is a place which relates to the historical personality, and here you can expect a small surprise …
Datum Uhrzeit Historische Figur
Samstag 22.06.2019 16:00 Uhr Müller Manfred Bernhard – Sohn Herbords
Samstag 20.07.2019 16:00 Uhr Herbord von Raven
Samstag 17.08.2019 16:00 Uhr Baronin von Kimsky
Samstag 21.09.2019 16:00 Uhr Probst Walwanus
Samstag 19.10.2019 16:00 Uhr Mudder Schulten
Samstag 16.11.2019 16:00 Uhr Graf Tilly
Samstag 21.12.2019 16:00 Uhr Wollweber Mathias Gerling


Subject to alterations!

Pricing
Adults 4,00€
Kids up to 10 years free

 

In 1866, Christine Dorothea Schulz, a dedicated and resolute baker’s wife got a literary monument in Fritz Reuter’s humoresque „Dörchläuchting“(part of „Olle Kammellen“). She called on his highness Adolf Friedrich IV. to pay the bill for his delivered bakery products. A woman of a lower class of population dared to criticize and compromise the Duke in the public.

A good demonstration of the scene is a group of figures of coquina which is situated near the station vis-à-vis to the Fritz Reuter Monument.

Der Sohn des Stadtgründers erbaute angeblich 1264 die Vierrademühle. Um das Wasser des Tollensesees an die Wasserräder der Mühle zu leiten, wurde der See um einen Meter angestaut. Da die Mühle außerhalb der Stadtmauer errichtet wurde, schützten sie Bollwerke gegen feindliche Übergriffe. 1287 war der Müller Stifter und Patron des St. Katharinenaltars der Marienkirche in Neubrandenburg. Hier war er auch über Jahre als Schöffe tätig.

Daughter of the Neubrandenburg clockmaker Johann Wilhelm Hähnel, advisor of pope George XVI., mistress of the Prussian Chancellor Karl August Prince of Hardenberg and even as clairvoyant she celebrated triumphs because in hypnotic situations she spoke out mysterious prophecies. She could speak noble in French, what was a big advantage for her. She was loved, despised and with some scandals she ensured many conversation topics not only on the streets of Neubrandenburg.

Dodo baron von Innhausen and zu Knyphausen was delegate of Sweden’s king to defend Neubrandenburg against the attacks of Tilly in the Thirty Years‘ War. In 1629 he entered into the services with the Sweden king Gustav II Adolf (Wasa) of Sweden.

In spite of missing artillery he could defend the town for days against the imperial’s superiority but in the end Tilly carried the town with a cruel massacre. Gustav gave him for his rewards the fortress Klempenow. As commander of the Swedish forces he fell in the battle of Haselünne in 1636.

Founder of Neubrandenburg, who built the town on behalf of the Brandenburg margraves Johann I and Otto III. This happened because the Duke of Demmin, Wratislaw, felt impelled to convey the Land Stargard the margraves in 1236 according to the Treaty of Kremmen. Due to this 30 towns were founded. The founding certificate of Neubrandenburg was issued on 4 January 1248 in Spandau by Johann I. Knight Herbord von Raven was later the major of the town.

The great Low-German poet lived in Neubrandenburg from 1856 to 1863 and he said about his time here that these years have been the most productive in his life. Working as a teacher, he had contact to the different classes of population. Acts like “Ut de Festungstied”, “Keen Hüsung” or “Ut de Franzosentid” made him famous. Near the station he is enthroned on his socle and looks this very day on his Neubrandenburg.

His highness Adolf Friedrich IV, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, has been regnant Duke from 1752/53 to 1794. In his term he let built amongst others the playhouse, the ducal palace and the stables for his summer residence in Neubrandenburg. On a hill in Brodaer Holz (name of a forest) he built a summer house and today you can find there the Belvedere.

Since 1830 the clockmaker has lived in Neubrandenburg in road Treptower Straße, where he has lived till his death and where he had his clockmaker workshop. As notorious original he could talk High and Low German in one sentence, what he found very amusing. Fritz Reuter was one of his best friends. After some glasses of Rotsporn (kind of wine), they liked to spend some time in the ale-house in Treptower Straße or in the restaurant Fürstenkeller, some anecdotes slipped from Mercker. These episodes you can find in Fritz Reuters work “Ut mine Stromtied” as figure Unkel Bräsig.

He was military leader of  the league of catholic sovereigns and one of the most well-known general in the Thirty Years’ War. First he served the Spanish and learned the strategy by Alexander von Parma. After that he entered the Lorraine service and in 1598 the imperial service. He fought against the Hungarian rebels, fenced against the Turks and worked his way up to a colonel of a Walloon regiment.  In the Thirty Years’ War he emerged victorious of many battles with his forces. He campaigned against Neubrandenburg with 18000 soldiers and carried the town in 1631 with a cruel massacre.

A wool weaver from Neubrandenburg, who came from his work in Malchow, got lost in dense snow drift and couldn’t find his way home. Thanks to the bells of St Mary’s Church he could orientate again and found his way back. Thereupon he gave some of his earned money to the church so that the bells could ring more often in the darker season. For this reason one of the five bells are named extra or weaver bell.

She has been Neubrandenburg’s notorious midwife. Because of her function she was summoned in many households and there she learned all kinds of news. And of course she couldn’t keep this news in private. When she was telling her news she added hers two cents and the people said: “You don’t need a daily paper when you know Mudder Finksch. She was very popular because she spoke the language of the ordinary people.

He was the second friar on the Premonstratensian monastery in Broda.

This monastery was one of the Premonstratensian order and was founded in 1170. The order has its seeds in the cloister of Premontre which was founded near the northern French town Laon by Norbert von Xanten. Through the foundation of Neubrandenburg the possessions of the monastery Broda were badly reduced. In was not until 1271 that the monastery got at least a partial compensation for its loss by the margrave of Brandenburg. Probst Walwanus was the one who advocated this compensation during his term.

Touristinfo Neubrandenburg

Opening times

Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 19:00
Saturday: 10:00 – 16:00

Please note our special opening times during city-centre events

Contact

Touristinfo Neubrandenburg
Marktplatz 1
17033 Neubrandenburg

Tel.: 0395 55 95127
E-Mail: touristinfo@neubrandenburg.de